Covid-19 in Gothenburg
دراسة حول كوفيد-19 (فيروس كورونا) في يوتيبوري
መርመራ ኮሮና ቫይረስ (covid-19) ኣብ ዮቶቦሪ
Baaritaan lagu ogaanayo covid-19 (fayruska corona) ka jira Göteborg
Västra Götaland region is making an survey on the prevalence of covid-19 in Gothenburg during week 26-29. The investigation is made by Sahlgrenska University Hospital and Smittskydd Västra Götaland with support from Public Health Sweden and Swedish Armed Forces.
Between the 22nd and 26th of June 17 000 randomly selected people from different parts of Gothenburg will receive an invitation to sample themselves from nose, saliva and throat.
The purpose of the survey is see how much of the population are affected by covid-19 right now, by using a variety of age, gender and neighborhoods. It is important to know this so we can understand the extent of the situation for planning health care and to prevent the spread. The result will give an idea of how many people in the Gothenburg area are carrying the virus covid-19 (SARS-CoV-2).
Participants are randomly selected and receive a letter to their home address with sampling material and instructions. It is not possible to apply to take part in this as it is only for those who have been selected.
The investigation result will be available at Smittskydd Västra Götaland website. The first results will be published during week 29.
How to take part in the survey
1. You take the sample as instructed on the day you want to leave it.
2. Your identity and the sample number must be registered. Here's how:
- Those who have BankID are asked to register themselves at direktttest.se according to the instructions. The advantage of registering with BankID is that you then get the results quickly through SMS notification and login with BankID.
- Those who do not have BankID need to register otherwise. They are primarily asked to e-mail the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- the identity number of the sample (ten digits)
- the name of the sample
- the sample number of the sample
- sampling date
- telephone numbers that we can call if needed
- Those who cannot e-mail or for other reasons need help with the registration, can call 010-4739450 on weekdays 8.00-18.00.
Please, carefully read the instructions before you start. Make sure you have everything you need before you start.
- One big zip-lock bag containing:
- One sampling swab in a plastic wrap
- One tube with a screw cap, label and sodium chloride suspension.
- One smaller zip-lock bag with label and a paper napkin that is suppose to protect the sample during transport
- A plate or plastic cup
- A plastic bag for trash and a piece of paper
Look at the images below and follow this format
Remember to take the samples the same day as you are leaving it at the sample collection point.
- Insert the soft end of the small stick through your mouth and to the back of your throat for as far back as you can until you feel yourself gagging.
- Rub the top of the stick against the back of the inside of your throat for as long as you can. It will feel uneasy but 5 seconds is enough. See the figure above.
- Put the same stick into your nostril, as long back as you can. Do not turn so it is pointing upwards. Rub it for 10-20 seconds. See figure.
- Collect much saliva in your mouth and spit it onto the plate or in the plastic cup, but avoid spitting snot and mucus onto it.
- Dip the soft end of the stick in the saliva on the plate or cup and make it very moist.
- Leave the stick on the plate or in the cup when you take the tube.
Transfer the sample stick to the tube and pack the tube in a safe way
- Open the lid of the tube and take the soft end of the stick and place it in the tube till it is touching the bottom of the tube. Swirl the stick in the fluid for 20 seconds.
- Take the stick out of the tube and put it in its wrapping or put it on the plate or cup again.
- Screw on the lid of the tube tightly.
- Put the tube in the little zip-lock plastic bag, with napkin and label, and make sure you seal the bag properly.
- Put the little bag with the tube in the big zip-lock bag.
- Seal the big zip-lock bag properly.
- Leave the bag with the tube inside in a fridge until you can turn it in or have it picked up. Preferably you should take the sample the same day as you leave it.
Dispose the litter in a safely
- Put the stick in its wrapping and the paper in a regular plastic bag.
- Tie the plastic bag properly and put in your regular thrash bin.
- Plate and mug can be dished as you usually do.
Register your sample by BankID
Your identity and the sample number must be registered.
- Go to direkttest.se on you phone or computer. Select which language English and click on “Register test”.
- Scan the QR code on the tube or the little bag with your mobile phone camera by pointing the camera towards QR code.
- Fill in your personal information and follow all steps given.
- When you have identified yourself with Bank-ID the registration is complete. An email with the reference number will be sent to the one you have registered.
If you do not have BankID you may register by e-mail to email@example.com, or by phone call to 010-4739450 on weekdays 8.00-18.00.
After registration, go ahead and take the sample as described below.
Bring your sample
Please bring the sample to any of the following locations on any of these five days: June 29 - July 3, between 08:00 and 18:00.
- Bergsjöskolan, Rymdtorget 6, Gothenburg MAP
- Fenced sports field in Biskopsgården (between Klimatgatan and Daggdroppsgatan) MAP
- Hvitfeldtska high school, Rektorsgatan 2, Gothenburg MAP
- Kärralundsskolan, Birkagatan 61, Gothenburg MAP
- Sannaskolan, Jordhyttegatan 5, Gothenburg MAP
It is important that no crowding occurs and we therefore ask you to follow the instructions from the staff at the site. In order to avoid crowding, it is important that you have registered and the test.
For this investigation we have been supported by the Swedish Armed Forces and they are dressed in uniform at the collection sites.
If you are older than 70 or do not feel fully healthy on the day you leave the sample, it is important that you do not arrive at the drop-off point. If possible, instead please ask a friend who can bring your sample. If you do not have someone who can help you to the sample, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org: or call 010-4739450 weekdays from 8.00-18.00 and enter your name, social security number and telephone number and we will arrange for the sample to be collected at your home.
When we receive your result from the lab you will get a text message on your phone. Usually, you will have your result after 72 hours but can take up to a week. If you do not have Bank-ID, the results will be posted as a letter. If the sample is covid-19 positive we will also contact you by phone on the number you have registered.
If the result is positive for covid-19, you are most likely have an ongoing covid-19 infection.
This test only shows if you have the virus right now, and do not show if you have had it before or if you are immune to the virus.
Frequently asked questions
I do not have BankID.
You need Bank-ID in order to register your sample. If you do not have BankID, you can register by emailing the information required to email@example.com or by calling 010-4739450 (see above).
I cannot sample my child as instructed
We understand that is difficult to sample children from the throat and nose or collect saliva from small children in a cup. Alternatively you might hold the cotton stick in the mouth for 10 seconds in order to collect secretion and saliva. Even if you only manage to sample on only one or two locations, we still have a good chance to detect the virus.
I am unsure if I registered the sample correctly
The sample is registered when you come to the site “Your sample is registered". If you for any reason to feel uncertain as to whether your sample was registered properly, you can log in to “Sample results” on direkttest.se. “Test results are not available” means that the sample was registered but not yet analysed. “There is no test registered” means that there is no registered sample in your name and personal number, and a connection between you and a sample cannot be made.
How long does it take until I get results?
Usually it takes 72 hours. In some cases it can take up to 7 days.
Who do I contact if the sample is positive?
Read the information on direkttest.se. If you still have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our support team at 010-4739450.
If I feel I am getting worse?
If you need professional health care or your child has severe symptoms please contact 1177 or your usual doctor at the primary care center you are listed at.
What is biobanking and what is it good for?
Biobanking means that the sample you have sent may be frozen and stored in order to make it available for future purposes. Swedish scientists may also get approval from ethical authorities to use samples for future research.. For that reason, we wish that you tick the box that grants biobanking for your sample, when you register your sample with QR code or on direkttest.se. This is voluntary.
If you have other questions regarding the investigation or sample taking, please send an email to email@example.com . If you are unable to use email but need more information you may call 010-4739450 on weekdays days from 08.00 – 18.00.