AIR Litteratur Västra Götaland announces literary residency grants
Are you an author or literary translator? Do you need access to your own room? Are you looking for somewhere to work that offers peace, quiet, and renewed inspiration? If so, you can apply to AIR Litteratur Västra Götaland for a one-month literary residency grant for 2021. The closing date for applications is 15 April.
The residency grant includes one month’s free accommodation and access to a workplace. The grant is worth 20,000 SEK. In the case of a residency grant where the host is a library, an author fee of 7,500 SEK is also payable for a public appearance during the residency, arranged in consultation with the host.
There will be eleven residencies for 2021, based at six locations throughout the Västra Götaland region.
Locations and dates
In your application you select your first-, second-, and third-choice towns and months from the list below.
- Borås City Library offers accommodation in a centrally located apartment and a workplace beside the library, which is housed in Kulturhuset. Month: June
- Skara Old Library offers accommodation at Herrtorps Qvarn or in the centre of Skara. The workplace is in the Old library building in the centre of Skara. Month: September
- Skövde Central Library offers accommodation and a workplace in a studio apartment in the centre of town, close to the library, which is housed in Kulturhuset. Month: July
- Tanum Central Library offers accommodation and a workplace at KKV Bohuslän in Gerlesborg. Month: October
- Åmål Public Library offers accommodation at a centrally located bed & breakfast and a workplace at Nordiska Litteraturhuset in Åmål. Month: October
- Villa Martinson in Jonsered offers accommodation and a workplace in one of the villa’s five apartments. Months: July, August, September, October, November, December (one place each month)
We invite applications from individuals involved in literature, such as authors and literary translators, from all over the world. The closing date for applications is 15 April. The digital application form is available here...
Selection takes place in consultation with the reference group at the Cultural Development Administration together with a representative from the host location.
What does the residency grant include?
The Cultural Development Administration pays a grant (20,000 SEK) to successful applicants. We also pay a fee (7,500 SEK) to those who make a public appearance during their residency and we cover the host’s venue costs.
The host will arrange suitable accommodation and a workplace, appoint a contact person, and introduce the holder to the area. In consultation with the holder, the host, if it is a library, will arrange at least one public appearance (e.g. workshop, discussion, literature circle, seminar) during the residency.
At the end of the residency, the holder and the host each submit a brief report on the residency in which they highlight the work that was done, the type of public event that was arranged, the number of people who attended, and so on.
AIR Litteratur Västra Götaland
AIR Litteratur Västra Götaland is a residency programme run by the Cultural Development Administration and is aimed at authors and literary translators from all over the world. The purpose is to give them time and space to continue their creative journey by offering a residency at selected locations throughout the Västra Götaland region. The focus of the residency is on literary outreach, where the individual has the opportunity to explore new thoughts and ideas and draw on new sources of inspiration. The residency will also be shaped by the conditions at the location and the wishes of the host.
This residency grant announcement for 2021 is taking place in collaboration with Villa Martinson in Jonsered, the libraries in Borås, Skara, Skövde, Tanum, and Åmål. The residency at Villa Martinson will take place within the framework of the subproject AIR Litteratur vistelsestipendium. Residencies at the other five locations are part of AIR Litteratur Bibliotek, a subproject run in collaboration with libraries throughout the region.
If you have any thoughts or questions, please feel free to contact:
Johanna Lindström, Coordinator of the Literary Residence Program and Cities of Refuge
076-324 27 71