Educated outside EU/EEA

Do you have an education from a country outside the EU/EEA? We are interested in your comptence! Region Västra Götaland is working actively to help health care personnel, who are new in Sweden, with the licence procedure in order to promote a quicker way in to the labour market.

Obtaining a Swedish licence

Within healthcare, there are 22 regulated professions that require a licence. In order to have the opportunity to be employed in Sweden, we recommend that you contact the National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) as soon as possible in order to apply for a Swedish licence. The National Board of Health and Welfare will make an assessment of your foreign basic training and make a decision stating what you need to do in order to proceed in the licensing process.

The National Board of Health and Welfare

If you already have a Swedish licence, you are welcome to search for our vacant positions in our job database.

Available positions

Work permit

In order to work in Sweden, you must have a work permit. If you do not have a work permit permit and you are offered a position in Region Västra Götaland, it is important to address this so that we can take the necessary steps to proceed with an application. 

You can read more about the work permit application process and requirements at the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) website.

Swedish Migration Agency (

Working in Swedish health care without a licence

Some health care professions do not require a licence, for example assistant nurse. In some cases it is possible to apply for jobs in non-licence professions if you have an education in a licence professison from another country and have had your training assessed by the National Board of Health and Welfare.

A good knowledge in the Swedish language is however required when working in health care in Region Västra Götaland, regardless profession. 

Professions that do not require a licence

For professions that do not require a licence, such as assistant nurse, dental nurse and medical secretary, we recommend that you contact the Swedish Council for Higher Education. They can do an evaluation and recognition of your qualifications.  

The Swedish Council for Higher Education

Linda Olsson